I've been making this for about 20 years now. It has always been a favorite even before I really knew it was healthy; I just have always loved beans and fresh produce. Plus it was super easy to make back in the day when I traveled quite a bit and lived by myself.
Now that I have a family, it has become a go-to favorite for a different reason: the kids love it and can help make it in about 10 minutes. And everyone eats it up - seriously, every single time. And if you're a parent, you understand my emphasis on every single time.
A few healthy tidbits about this recipe:
- Beans are low in fat and cholesterol, yet high in fiber; plus they contain essential iron, B vitamins and protein; a great meat substitute for me and my semi-vegetarian kids
- We use whole grain tortillas (Central Market's are really tasty and a good choice); or, for a change, I use packaged flat tostada shells (Old El Paso makes decently healthy ones; or you can make your own by toasting corn tortillas)
- I sometimes add rice to boost nutrition (brown rice provides even more fiber and vitamins; plus, beans combined with rice makes a complete meatless protein)
- I set up a burrito bar so everyone can make their own - usually with cheese, greens, heart-healthy avocado, and chopped up cucumbers, carrots, tomatoes, red bell peppers, etc.
- I use salt-free spices such as cumin and chili powder, plus fresh lime juice, to season the beans
- To decrease the sodium found in canned beans try this technique: drain each can in a colander, then rinse twice with cold water; you can decrease sodium content by 50%
- I have never measured anything for this recipe; I just throw everything in a bowl and season to taste
- We always add fresh fruit on the side for a super-healthy meal
Susan's Black Bean Burritos
- 2 cans of beans (black, pinto, whatever), drained and rinsed twice
- Fresh lime juice (to taste)
- Cumin powder, chili powder (to taste)
- Fresh, assorted chopped veggies for filling
- Fresh cheese for filling (we like shredded monterrey and cheddar mixed)
- Whole grain tortillas 0r low-fat tostada shells
- Whole grain cooked rice (optional)
- Favorite salsa (optional)