Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Mom's Day Surprise


In honor of Mother's Day, my daughter (a budding journalist, writer, softball-playing, Harry Potter-reading, lego-loving, 8-year-old) interviewed me for the Dallas Morning News.  

They printed an excerpt, but here is the (yes, tape-recorded) transcript in its entirety:

---------------------------------
“Can I interview you?” 

That was the question my 8-year-old daughter, Isabella, asked me the other day. 

Hmm, I thought.  Sure, why not?  After all, even though my kids and I are together practically 24/7, how well do they really know me?  And if you have ever met my daughter, you know that each day for her is a new opportunity to ask questions and seek out answers.

So we sat down together and with a recorder in hand, she began her carefully crafted questions (with a few thrown in from 4-year-old Zander, sitting nearby). 

Isabella: What are your favorite parts about being a mom?

Susan: [laughing] I have lots of favorite parts!  I get free belly laughs, lots of love, tons of kisses and big bear hugs every day from the two best people in the world. 

Isabella: Do you like raising children?

Susan: I love raising children.  It’s the hardest job I have ever had, but it is by far the most rewarding.  Seeing you and Zander change and grow every day is a wonderful thing to watch.  I love teaching you new things and sharing life experiences with you.

Isabella: What is your favorite book series?

Susan: I have rediscovered my love for the Harry Potter series, since you and I have been reading them together.

Isabella:  I love them, too.  When can we start reading the 4th book?

Susan: Let’s watch the movie from the 3rd book first, then we’ll wait a bit to start reading the 4th.

Isabella:  [frowning] OK.  Do you enjoy being a dietitian?

Susan: Being a dietitian is awesome.  I get to help people live better lives by teaching them to eat healthier.  Plus it’s something I can share with my family.  It’s hugely satisfying for me and it’s something I want to do for a very long time.  I hope you and Zander will be lucky enough to follow your passion one day.

Isabella: I love art and animals.  Maybe I’ll be an artist or vet, or a dietitian!  What did you like doing when you were 8 years old?

Susan: I was in the third grade and had a best friend who lived two houses up.  We explored the neighborhood on our bikes, climbed trees, played hopscotch, jumped rope and spent all of our time outside.  I also loved visiting our family farm.  Lots of space to run wild.

Isabella: What is your favorite food?

Susan: Chocolate cupcakes, of course! And any kind of fresh berry.

Zander: [walking up] What is your favorite color?

Susan: Green.  Orange, purple and yellow are close seconds.

Zander: Do you like hugs and kisses?

Susan: [laughing] I love hugs and kisses, especially from you two. 

Zander: [yelling] No, just from me!  I like Star Wars.  Who are your favorite Star Wars characters?

Susan: Hmmm.  Princess Leia – she’s brave and holds her own among the men.  And Han Solo is swashbuckling and funny.

Isabella: Thank you, Zander.  Mom, what’s your favorite holiday?

Susan: Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Zander: [incredulous] Why do you like Thanksgiving?  There aren’t any presents.

Susan: Well, Thanksgiving centers around food – which I love!  And I get to make your favorite sweet potato casserole with the marshmallows on top.   Plus, there aren’t any presents you have to deal with – you’re focused on just spending time with family and friends.

Isabella:  What has being a mother taught you?

Susan: Wow, lots of things I actually never expected.  Unconditional love.  Patience.  The enormous amount of pride I feel for you.  To be in the moment.  To be a good role model.  To prioritize what’s really important. And how to accept the fact that nothing really ever stays the same. 

Isabella: Those are all of my questions.  Thank you for letting me interview you.  I love you.

Susan: [hugs Isabella] I love you, too.  And thank you for interviewing me – I enjoyed it!

4 comments:

  1. Lovely work! I'm definitely going to visit the blog frequently.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That’s looks so nice your posting.
    Everything looks good in your posting.
    That will be necessary for all. Thanks for your posting.
    Isuzu FXR Truck Turbo

    ReplyDelete