Thursday, August 12, 2010

Starbucks Surprise


Yes, it's true. 

I go to Starbucks.  And not for the plain coffee - really for the yummy drinks. And I have been for years.

I don't go all the time - not every day, not even once a week.   I go when the mood strikes, which is often enough to where my three-year-old knows the logo by sight and the name of my favorite drink. 

And although I have been a long-time patron, I have never really tried any of their food.  The sweet stuff doesn't interest me, because for me, the drink itself is the treat.

But all that changed the other day.  

While I was ordering my tall, nonfat, Chai tea latte, my stomach rumbled hunger, so I scoped out the offerings and decided to try one of their new Artisan Snack Plates - the Chicken on Flatbread with Hummus to be exact; and my, was it good.  White meat grilled chicken strips stuffed inside a mini flat bread, with a small container of hummus and veggies (grape tomatoes and carrot/cucumber sticks) for dipping.  

The front of the container said, "Nutritious Snacking Meets Greek Get-Away."  

Yep, I would have to agree.

The amount is just enough to be a hearty snack or tide you over until dinner (which it did for me).  And at 250 calories, 13% fat (most of which were "good" fats), a healthy amount of fiber (enough to meet almost a quarter of your daily needs) and a good dose of protein, you can actually feel good about eating it.  Plus, you'll be meeting 180% of your vitamin A needs and 10% of your vitamin C needs for the day.  

All for $4.95.

Not bad for a coffee shop on-the-go snack.

And, by the way, you don't even have to buy a coffee.  Choose their bottled water, brewed (unsweetened) tea or milk and you're set for an even more nutritious snack.

They do have other snack plate offerings (a Fruit, Nut and Cheese and  Protein one with a boiled egg) which might not be quite as healthy as the hummus choice - but still, they provide more nutrition than the empty calories of the coffee cakes, brownies or other sweet treats.   

Check it out and let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment